Monday, September 8, 2008

two, insert cliche about counting, two

Two, count 'em, two people commenting that I never post in two, count 'em also whydontcha, two days!
I will counter these comments with two, tired of this yet, two lists!

First, last week, I:
- Worked my last day at my job
- Assumed (wrongly) that this week would be shot to hell by Ike one way or another
- Got a parking ticket for not having paid for parking at the metrorail garage, despite having a receipt in my pocket that conclusively proves I paid
- Had a fun little bureaucratic runaround as a result of the aforementioned ticket
- Ran to the courthouse no fewer than three times in one day, one time literally running
- Shook off the last vestiges of a summer cold only to have it make a brief reappearance after going out too much on the weekend
- Rode a long long way on my bike three times, on one trip proceeding to crash into the sidewalk while avoiding a jogger
- Learning that in real life, like in cartoons, shoes really do fly off when you run into something
- Went out too much on the weekend to shake off the odd feeling that comes when you leave a job knowing there are things left unfinished

And second, a compilation of twitter posts from my last day at work. They get interesting eventually, I promise.
• tea cup to tea goblet to tea and coffee to decaf coffee to coffee coffee back to goblets of tea again: my mornings have come full circle. 08:08 AM September 05, 2008 from web
• appropriate as today is my last day at this job 08:08 AM September 05, 2008 from web
• The passengers on this meyrorail platform get more depressing as you walk away from the escalator (fun typo kept intentionally) 08:35 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• On the one hand there's no rain, on the other Miami looks like Seattle. I guess Hanna did bring us something. 08:36 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• I also guess I'm liveblogging my last day at this job? We'll see how long THAT lasts 08:37 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• There is a well dressed middle age Hispanic woman playing games on a nintendo DS in a case I'd easily mistake for a fancy wallet. 08:39 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• The streets are wet; lacking sun they lack reflections. Rain used to make Tally seem sad but alive, but Miami is largely indifferent 08:41 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• The gray feels like a blanket of static across the city, powering the palm fronds to gently move the wind like a cheap deskfan 08:47 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• There's a hum. I'm waiting for it to escalate to a buzz, one that only the birds can hear as they fly away in advance of Ike 08:49 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• Downtown Miami always reminds me of a clean version of the future version of Detroit in Robocop. Maybe it's just the fonts. 09:03 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• Just protested a parking ticket. Just another part of this ridiculous week. 09:11 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• Just is right. Just is a word I'm using too much. Just like "listen lady I just need four fives for the courthouse copy machine" 09:13 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• The bouganvilleas outside the courthouse don't help to distract from the chain link on the steps. 09:31 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• A white homeless man on the street had two irregular dreds that were squashed flat into wierd beaver tails. I think he sensed me staring 09:32 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• Printing your firm's name and phone number on the bottom of each page of a court filing = crass 10:09 AM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
http://twitpic.com/aaw8 Heading to the office finally. 7 hours. 10:14 AM September 05, 2008 from TwitPic
• i don't know who Chayanne is, I don't know why he's Gabriel, I don't know why he's on every bus, I do know he needs a shower 10:21 AM September 05, 2008 from web
• Feels odd having casual Friday be your last day 11:24 AM September 05, 2008 from web
• The development next to my office looks like 40% parking garage. Downtown will never be walkable 01:44 PM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• T minus 15 til unemployment. Expecting streamers, cabaret girls, and Ed Mcmahon. 04:44 PM September 05, 2008 from web
• Poof. 05:03 PM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator
• Between stress and chicken kitchen today I've had a stomach ache. The "what now" feeling is not helping. 05:14 PM September 05, 2008 from web
• Too busy staring at the phone to look the window and see how nice the day turned out to be 05:24 PM September 05, 2008 from Twittelator

The sun was beautiful that evening, and it served as an introduction to an awesome if exhausting weekend that involved such things as a) drinking in pools b) drinking in bars and c) sleep. I'll be making a long put off trip to D.C. this coming weekend to see some old friends and will be spending the intervening days trying to figure things out. I'm more excited about both than I'm probably letting on.

No comments: